Thursday, July 26, 2007

Faith in our Lord Jesus Christ

Faith is not a mere intellectual assent or a passing knowledge of something. Knowing some facts about Jesus does not mean that you know Jesus in a vital, personal, experiential way that places you in an approved relationship to Him7. The New Testament Greek noun rendered “faith” and its verb form rendered “believe” means primarily a firm persuasion, a conviction based upon hearing (Rom10:17).

Romans10:10 also tells us that “with the heart man believeth unto righteousness”. The heart represents man’s entire personality including his mind, emotion and will. To believe with the heart is to believe fully, resting all in the Lord and accounting Him absolutely worthy to be trusted. Abraham believed in God and it was accounted to him for righteousness and he became the father of all who will walk in his example of faith8, in a life of complete dependence on God.

Today, there are many who think they are Christians who sadly have not or do not believe that Jesus is the Christ, the one unique and only Promised Messiah (1John5:4) or that He came in human flesh (1John4:2-3) and died for our sins on the cross and was buried, and rose again on the third day (1Cor15:3-4).

Genuine faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour must include 1) a firm conviction producing a full acknowledgement of Him as to His claims and His teachings, 2) a personal surrender to follow Him and obey His commandments and 3) a changed life and conduct inspired by such surrender9. Only then would a man deny himself and take up his cross and follow Jesus. Yes, we must all look back to Calvary’s cross where Jesus in love died for all “my sins” and there realise the viciousness of sin and our own condemned, lost and helpless estate deserving of hell. Then, we would realise that if there were no other sinner in the world, the Lamb of God would still have died for “me”. O what marvellous grace that God my Creator would die for such a worm as I!

What a hatred for sin faith would instil in the heart of a true believer? And what comfort of joy to know that Jesus has ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father, ever interceding for us! This will spur us on to live an abundant life, filled with fruit, joy and genuine holiness, with our values transformed towards the things of God above.

We know that there may be friends in churches today, who have not heard this message of repentance and faith or have not experienced its reality. May the Lord speak to you and help you. Unless you have truly repented and believed and experienced the new birth, your religious life, no matter how active or demanding, if you would be honest in the sight of God, is really a tiresome losing struggle against sin and dryness of bones. For if you have not truly believed in Jesus and Him alone, how shall rivers of living water flow in your belly?

If God is speaking to you in His mercy, may you not harden your heart? Take a first step in response to Him, for He will draw near to those who draw near to Him. Examine your relationship with Jesus Christ and earnestly pray that God will help you to find genuine repentance and faith. He stands willing to forgive and to change and transform you and bless you with the presence of His Holy Spirit10 to help you live worthily of Him.


1 Matt3:2, 4:17, Mark1:15, Luke13:3-5, 24:47, Act2:38, 3:19, Rom2:4, 2Cor7:10
2 John3:15 – 18, 7:38, 9:35-38, Act16:31, 20:21
3 John3:3, 2Cor5:17
4 John8:34-36, Rom6:18, 22
5 John10:10
6 John7:38
7 Matt7:22-23, John10:27-29, 2Tim2:19
8 Rom4:11-12, 21-22, Gal3:6-7
9 Matt28:20, 16:24-26, Mark8:34-38, John14:21-24, Eph4:22-24, Col3:7-10, 1Jn3:24
10 Act5:32

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SAVED BY GRACE
About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 2004, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages . God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].
PEACE BE WITH YOU
MICKY

noah said...

Dear Micky:

Thank you for your testimony. Praise God for it. May the grace of God and peace of Jesus Christ with you all the time.

In his name